Berlin Midsommar 2017 is over, so it’s time to indulge in nostalgia, share your photos (and use the hashtag #berlinmidsommar), tag yourself & your friends in the pictures in our gallery…and finally find out the correct answers for Göteborg Paper Chase! This year’s paper chase was very special: given our partnership with PETA ZWEI, we turned it into a vegan odyssey through the Swedish city. Congratulations once again to the lucky winner who is going to Göteborg & Way Out West with airberlin – and also thanks to everyone who participated. We hope to see you again next year!
(1) Okay. So for some reason you are in Gothenburg and you have to stay vegan for a day. What’s the best way to deal with the shock of the situation like this? To have a drink, of course (or better even, two). So you head up to Gothenburg’s oldest pub “Ölhallen.” You take a look at the drinks menu figuring out what to order. Luckily, most of your favorite cocktails are compatible with your new dietary restrictions – except for…
- Bloody Mary (All because of the Worcestershire sauce that contains anchovies)
- Pina Colada
(2) Things are starting to look up a little bit. Time to explore the city! The weather is extremely favorable, so you decide to head to Gothenburg’s Botanical Garden. There’s a lot marvel at there, but it’s these unbelievable sky-blue flowers that totally fascinate you. They kinda look like the Swedish flag! What are they called?
- Swedish alpine flower
- Baikal pasque flower
- Himalayan mountain poppy
(3) After a stroll in the gardens, you wander the city streets when suddenly a beautiful voice captures your attention. You turn back following that voice to enjoy the music, and when you get there you cannot believe your eyes: there’s a famous Gothenburg-born musician singing right in front of you, namely…
- José González
- Lykke Li
- The Tallest Man on Earth
(4) Fika time! You find a nice little cafe and order a cup of coffee with a big (and completely vegan) cinnamon bun. The waiter also brings you some milk. Wait, vegan milk? You smell it first trying to guess what it’s made from. It’s gotta be…
- Almond milk
- Soy milk
- Oat milk (That was kind of tricky – cheers to you if you recognized the smell!)
(5) On your table, you see a flyer advertising Gothenburg’s legendary music festival WAY OUT WEST. Apparently, folks here are really, really into sustainability: Way Out West went completely meat-free back in 2012! This is obviously a cool thing to do for the environment, but it can also help with booking certain artists. Which hard-to-please musician would particularly appreciate Way Out West’s no-meat policy?
- Chad Kroeger
- Morrissey (This song probably gives it away…)
- Lady Gaga
(6) The sun is still up, so what about some nice breeze and sea air? You decide to catch a boat that takes you to an island north of Gothenburg called Marstrand. Wait a second, that scenery looks familiar…Where have you seen it before?
- In a “Game of Thrones” episode
- In a Carlsberg commercial (those sneeky Danes!)
- In an ABBA music video (The Winner Takes It All!)
(7) This abundance of fresh air makes you a bit hungry, so you drop by a little local shop to buy some candy. Which of these are vegan?
- Haribo Gummy Bears
- After Eight Chocolate Thins
(8) An hour long bus drive, and you’re back in Gothenburg! You’re at Götaplatsen, and there’s a huge statue of a pretty legendary dude right in the middle. He’s got a bowl in his left hand and… What is he holding in his right hand?
- A pair of chopsticks
- A big water-spitting fish (No kidding! Check it out for yourself)
- A bronze trident
(9) Time to have a mighty vegan dinner! You’re at Örgytevägen now, close to Liseberg Amusement Park. What’s the nearest vegan restaurant? Write down the full name below. Tip: You can use HappyCow app to help you find it!
- Green Room
(10) After strolling around being vegan the whole day, you feel like going out, to round off this weird and eventful day. You end up in a club where everyone if dancing like crazy and singing their hearts out along to this song that apparently has something to do with Gothenburg. You’re listening to the chorus trying to figure out what it could possibly mean…
- Let’s run away to Gothenburg
- I lost my heart in Gothenburg
- Don’t feel sorry for me Gothenburg (The ultimate Göteborg song: “Känn ingen sorg för mig Göteborg” by Håkan Hellström)